Since 2004 the CDTC offers a dolphin assisted therapy program to children and adults with special needs. The duration of this personalized program is two weeks and can be conducted in several languages (mainly German or Dutch). The CDTC houses 5 bottlenose dolphins which live in two natural lagoons. The lagoons are connected directly to the ocean, allowing a constant flow of fresh seawater and numerous fish and invertebrate species.
As a (Senior) Dolphin Trainer the physical and mental wellbeing of the dolphins under our care is your number one priority. You are responsible for the care and training of the dolphins for all of our activities. Daily diet preparation, cleaning – and maintenance duties are also part of your job.
The dolphin trainer (together with a therapist) strives to make the therapy/swim as special as possible for the participant. The program is conducted in a pleasant and safe working environment where both humans and animals are of equal importance.
- Has a minimum of 3 years’ – paid – experience in training and working with dolphins
(or other (sea)mammals) and has experience with operant conditioning;
- Has a good command of the English language; Dutch and German are recommended;
- Has good swimming skills and is in good physical shape;
- Does not mind working on weekends or public holidays;
- Has affinity with special need people is recommended.
The rightful candidate is enthusiastic, driven, can work independently, but is also a team player and has a hands-on mentality. Our new colleague is highly motivated for the job, prioritizes our dolphins, is able to read their body language and does not mind working in the sun.
- A full-time challenging job with a lot of responsibility;
- A lot of 1-on-1 time with the dolphins which allows building relationships with them. Therefore, you will learn their personalities and be able to respond to them as individuals;
- Training opportunities and possibly guiding younger staff;
- Working in a natural setting within an international and young team;
- Salary and working conditions market compliant on Curaçao.
Are you interested to become part of our dolphin trainer team?
Please send a motivation letter – in English or Dutch – together with your curriculum vitae and photo via email to Romy van Leeuwen, email@example.com. For more information visit our website: www.cdtc.info